Hey everybody!! Welcome back to zee bloggy blog. (If you should know anything about me you should know that I am constantly falling into strange made up accents that will probably make appearances in my writing here) Anyways, classes are now in full swing over here and I am FEELING it. Back to running around literally all day sometimes forgetting to stop and just eat something (which is VERY hard for me to forget to do). Today I wanted to share a super simple and quick recipe that will satisfy all sweet, nutty, crunchy cravings without too much sweat or time in the kitchen because who has time for that in the middle of January?? And of course, we are definitely not sacrificing health here so we’ll be sticking to all that gluten free, vegan, refined-sugar free jazz. So without further ado…salted caramel stovetop granola babayyy!!
Makes 1 Cup of granola
- 1/2 c oats
- 1/4 c nuts
- 1/4 c coconut flakes
- Tbsp chia seeds
- Tbsp flax meal
- 1 1/2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp coconut cream (the stuff that sits at the top of the full fat coconut milk after its been refrigerated)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Add oats, nuts, and coconut flakes to a frying pan and toast on medium heat stirring frequently until the mixture is golden and fragrant
- Set aside oat/nut/coconut mixture and bring the coconut sugar and water to a simmer stirring constantly until color has darkened. Remove from heat and add coconut cream.
- Bring caramel mixture back to the burner and stir constantly until your spoon can make streaks at the bottom of the pot (due to thickening of mixture).
- Add salt and vanilla to caramel and pour over the oat/nut/coconut mixture.
- Stir until caramel has been evenly distributed and set aside for your granola to cool and harden.
- ENJOYYY!! Put this stuff on smoothie bowls, oatmeal, ice-cream, or just add some plant-based milk and voila you have yourself a lovely treat. (You can also just eat this stuff plain because its that good…my sister and I finished the whole batch in the car today)